HAPPY NEW YEAR! I’m definitely still mentally in 2009, but here we are sat 10 years down the line (bloody hell). I hope you all had a wonderful festive break and a smooth transition into this brand new year. I left 2018 with my favourite person by my side and entered 2019 the same way so we’re off to a good start already
I’m sure your Instagram is full to the brim of people’s timelines from their 2018 shenanigans, so I wanna keep my recap short and sweet – mostly because 2018 was the quickest year I have ever experienced.
2018 was such a growth year for myself – it was my first full year outside of education, so I delved into the world of full time work, which in turn introduced my horrendous luck with jobs. A short yet shoddy time at a call centre, job hunting, a job at a solicitor’s for 6 months ending in redundancy, now interviewing again in another city! I started my driving lessons, ticked Amsterdam off my bucket list and spent my first christmas away from home with my boyfriend’s wonderful family. 2018 was full of so many events and to sum it up nicely; it was an exciting year for easing into adulthood. Now for the juicy goals I’ve made for myself for the following 365 days.
- Adopt a more cruelty free lifestyle
In the middle of 2017 my mum shared a video with me on facebook about dairy farming and it really hit home for me, so I wanted to do my little bit. I cut out drinking dairy milk by about 95% (I drink it if I’m away or there’s no other option) in turn for alternatives – my fave being soya. I don’t feel like this is enough though, so I want to make more small changes because after all, every little helps. I’d like to: start using bamboo toothbrushes, lessen my meat consumption now there’s more variety and use more cruelty free makeup and skincare products.
- Move outMoving out is always one of life’s biggest milestones and I feel like 2019 is finally my time. A great opportunity has risen for me to move in with my boyfriend into a lovely house not all that far from my hometown, so that is the biggest progression point at the moment. I’m such a home bird, but it’s now or never
- Get my driver’s licenseEver since being a wee tot, I’ve wanted to get behind the wheel and zip around doing my own thing. I’ve managed to do 11 hours of lessons, but due to lots going on I haven’t had chance to properly crack down with it. I’m crossing my fingers that I can get it done as soon as possible and pass first time. The independence and opportunities that driving will offer are too good to wait for.
- Settle in a jobI’m 19 and have managed to work 5 different jobs since being 16. I’m not prone to having the best luck with the wonderful world of employment, so I’m really holding out on settling into a role I enjoy, but allows me to continue living the lifestyle I want/need. Let’s hope this week’s interview goes well and I can put a stop to the happiness vampire that is job hunting.
- Hit 1k on instaIt wouldn’t be a goal list without numbers and social media. My instagram has picked up a little bit since I started my blog, but I’d love to gain more followers and follow more people that love the same things as me. It’s not all about the numbers, but it is nice to see something tangible for your hard work and that people are liking it too.
- Learn to how to do boxer braids14 youtube tutorials down. Still can’t do it. I blame my man hands.
- Say yes more and stop being scaredI’m sure many people will set themselves the goal of putting themselves out there more, no matter what that may be in regards to. Personally, I’m a creature of habit – but I’d like to mix that trait with my spontaneous side and allow myself to do more things I wouldn’t normally do. I’d love to join a group or socialise more outside the house, which may sound small but you have to take baby steps.
- Travel to a new country2019 may you please offer the time and money for a fellow friend to explore somewhere new! Along with millions of others, I yearn to see as much of the world as I can – so I’m going to keep adding to my holiday jar in the hopes to enjoy a summer escape. My boyfriend and I are keen to have a long relaxed getaway somewhere hot and picturesque, so if you have any recommendations, please let me know!
- Gain regular blog traffic and make more friends in the communityNow for a more blog focused goal. I appreciate every single person that takes the time to read my little corner of the internet, but I’m going to hit the ground running and do my best to be consistent with posting. Blogging is a hobby I’ve wanted to start for so long so to see the results would be amazing. Making like minded friends along the way is such a bonus and is definitely an aspect I’m excited for. I have a bank of ideas content wise and it’d be great to have you along for the ride.
- Do more for charity For quite some time now, I’ve donated £2 a month to Wateraid. In the grand scheme of things, such a small amount can do so incredibly much for people in need. It’s not all about giving money however, because donating your time is just as important. There are so many charities and organisations doing amazing work, so my aim is to take less and give more. One idea I have in mind is to volunteer some time on Christmas day to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen and give what I can to those that need it most.
So there we have my 2018 recap and my goals for 2019. I’m actually really excited to revisit this post in a year’s time and see how I got on. What was your favourite part of 2018? What are your goals/resolutions for 2019 if you have any? Let’s have a chat down below 🙂
Until next time, Emily x