Chatty Tuesday: 5 Ways To Unwind After Work

Happy Chatty Tuesday everyone! Believe it or not, today’s blog post came about whilst I was sat at my desk at work, thinking about how I can unwind as much as possible when the clock ticks past 17:30. Sitting on my bum for 40 hours a week doesn’t sound like a strenuous job, but it’s mentally rather taxing. I’m not one for wishing precious time away, but I do find myself daydreaming about all of the things I’d much rather be doing. Winding down after a long day at work or even university can be quite difficult, so I wanted to compile a doable list of things you can try to relax that extra bit more.

I’m not currently at university and never have been. I chose to work full time instead, so I can’t speak personally from a student’s perspective so this post will be aimed more at those in work with a bit less free time. As a bit of context, I currently work full time in an office. I leave the house at 8am every day and get home around 17:50. So, before bed that gives me around 5 hours to “unwind” in. This is the tricky part. When you have to wedge relaxing and me-time around doing the washing, cooking, cleaning, washing yourself or even putting the kids to bed, it can be difficult to know what winding down even means when before you know it you’re up and on the go again. Here’s 5 ways to unwind.

unwind

/ʌnˈwʌɪnd/

synonyms: relax, loosen up, ease up/off, let up, slow down, de-stress, unbend, rest, repose

1. Leave it at the door. Much easier said than done, I know. If you have a job that you don’t have to take home with you – do exactly that. Irrespective of where you work, you shouldn’t have to take the weight of the work day home with you. Feeling tired is inevitable most days and talking about your day is normal – and great if you enjoy your job! But I believe there should be more separation between our work and home lives. Maybe set a goal of only talking about work for half an hour, before leaving it until you have to face it again the next day. Your work is your work and your home is your home. Don’t let the work bug invade your personal space.
  2. Check off your to-list. I don’t know about you, but until I know the things that need to be done are done, I simply cannot relax. I know I annoy my other half about this sometimes because he’s often telling me to just sit down and chill. But you might be like me and sit there thinking “I need to make dinner, then washup, then have a shower, then make lunch for tomorrow” etc. I don’t think this is all bad. Relaxing is much more enjoyable when you can mentally take a bit of a break too. Try removing as many things as possible that could be preventing you from unwinding. Plus what better feeling than sitting down after a long day knowing you have unsolicited you time! Plus the future you will be thankful for getting that load of washing done.
  3. Investing any time into relaxing is better than none at all. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. I’d seem quite naive to say we all have a few hours spare each day strictly for ourselves just to unwind because it’s simply not true. However, life can take a back seat sometimes because we need to make ourselves a priority. I think there’s a stereotype of self-care that says we have to spend hours in the bath with a face mask on drinking fruit tea to make it feel like we’re relaxing properly. Balls to that. Remove that social pressure that you’re not treating yourself enough. If taking 10 minutes out to read the news on the loo is what helps you unwind after a long day, then you do you. It’s all relative.
  4. Plan ahead/schedule time to relax. This may sound silly at first, but it’s difficult to pencil in time to relax sometimes, so perhaps literally pencil it in before anything else can squeeze itself into your schedule. If you already have plans with yourself on Friday night, it gives you unwinding time to look forward to. Even if that’s just 30 minutes of reading before bed to finally dust that book off you got for Christmas or taking your dog for a walk. There’s nothing wrong with putting your chores aside for the night and just doing what you want because you can.
  5. Switch off. When my mind is ticking or I feel particularly anxious, I find being on my phone and social media can worsen this feeling. Putting your phone down whilst in the bath or making dinner rather than aimlessly scrolling, can snap you back into reality and allow you to immerse yourself in what’s in front of you. Turning the music on, pouring a glass of rosé and actually enjoying your “chores” may allow you to see things in a different light. I’m being a little bit contradictory here because I’m unwinding in front of a screen typing away, but soon enough I’m going to shut my laptop down and shut my eyes too.

So there we have just 5 ways to help you unwind after your day. I think the takeaway message is to do what relaxes you, which could be completely opposite to the next person, but that’s okay. There’s no right or wrong way to unwind – just as long as you utilise some time in your day to escape for a bit. Thank you so much for reading – let me know in the comments what your favourite way to unwind is.

And like the anon Pinterest quote says; “You can’t pour from an empty cup. Take care of yourself first”.

Until next time,

Emily x

28 Comments

1. Millie
    May 14, 2019 / 4:38 pm

HAHA love the reading the news on the loo bit!! Defo gonna take your tips when I next need to unwind from work 🙂

May 14, 2019 / 4:57 pm

Awh thanks Millie!

2. May 14, 2019 / 4:40 pm

One of the best things that I did for myself was to set up my office in a separate room so that I can close the door and ‘leave’ work at the end of the day. As someone who works from home, it can be difficult to establish that separation.

May 14, 2019 / 4:58 pm

That’s such a good idea! I think if I was ever fortunate enough to work from home I’d do the same thing, thanks for reading and commenting!

3. May 14, 2019 / 9:40 pm

Unwinding is a real deal in everyday life. I usually unwind by putting on some music and coloring in a mandala adult coloring book before bed. It kind of relaxes me better than staring at any screen. Thanks for sharing such an honest post.

Love,
    Anjali

May 14, 2019 / 10:01 pm

Ooh I really like that idea! I might dust my own colouring book out 😊 Thank you for reading and for your lovely comment, have a lovely day.

4. May 15, 2019 / 7:46 am

Love this post 😄 I always have to check off my to-do list before I can relax! Yesterday I sat down to write an essay, but found that I couldn’t stop thinking about the cleaning that needed to be done. After I’d vacuumed and tidied I sat down at my desk again and found that I was loads more productive. If my productive space isn’t tidy I struggle to motivate myself. Great tips about leaving work at the door too, and only chatting about work for half an hour is a really good idea. Haha “taking 10 minutes out to read the news on the loo” is golden, really enjoyed reading this post! x

May 15, 2019 / 12:09 pm

Yesss same here! If we can help ourselves to relax and get the chores done too, they why not! Hahah 😂 thank you so much for reading and commenting, so glad you enjoyed!x

5. May 15, 2019 / 11:38 am

This is such good advice. I constantly put so much pressure on myself. When I get home I just don’t stop.
    Next time I’m restless when I get home I’ll definitely come back to this article!
    x

May 15, 2019 / 12:10 pm

That’s so nice to hear Chloe, thank you!! Glad I could help x

6. May 15, 2019 / 12:43 pm

I always struggle with winding down after work. This is some good advice. I especially like the to-do list idea. Will try implementing this today.

May 15, 2019 / 12:19 pm

That’s great to hear Scott, I hope it helps you to unwind. Thank you for reading and commenting

7. Michelle Tikalsky
    May 15, 2019 / 2:19 pm

I always plan to walk my dog every day to clear my head

May 15, 2019 / 3:45 pm

Such a good idea! Thank you for commenting 😊

8. May 15, 2019 / 7:43 pm

Great tips for unwinding! Sometimes its hard to leave work at the door but these tips will make it a bit easier. Will be working on planning ahead and scheduling time to relax.

Thank you for these tips!

May 15, 2019 / 7:46 pm

No problem Sandy, so glad I could help! Thank you for reading and commenting x

9. May 16, 2019 / 6:47 pm

I can really relate to a lot of your points here! I definitely put a lot of pressure on myself to keep working when clock hits 5pm. I then don’t get time to relax in the evening properly – it’s a vicious cycle! Thanks for sharing though – some great tips here.

Anneka @ New Shades of Hippy

May 16, 2019 / 6:55 pm

Thanks for sharing your sife Anneka and for commenting! I’m glad you enjoyed 😊

10. May 16, 2019 / 8:28 pm

I like the idea of leaving work at work. I like keeping my personal life separate from work.

May 16, 2019 / 8:43 pm

100%! Thank you for reading and commenting

11. May 17, 2019 / 8:06 pm

Leaving it at the door is something I’ve learned in the last year. I moved into a team where the only other team member took her laptop home most nights and I panicked that I had signed up for something outside of the 9-5! Instead of following in her footsteps, I spoke to my manager who reassured me that it’s to do with time management (only speaking for my job here, not all) and not expected of us at all. Phew! So important to make that distinction between home and work time.

May 17, 2019 / 8:22 pm

It’s a shame if you have to take work hope and not by choice, I’m glad you didn’t have to! There definitely should be some more separation – thank you for reading and commenting!

12. May 19, 2019 / 4:49 pm

These are some great tips! I think leaving work at the door is a great one, so you can really get comfortable in your own home and associate it with relaxing instead of worrying more about work. I’m also so guilty of making a list of things in my head and have to get those done before I relax. I definitely need to take on your advice of not aimlessly scrolling, I take my phone wherever I go such as in the bath when I really don’t need to! I love watching an episode of something to unwind or playing video games!

May 19, 2019 / 7:03 pm

Thank you for this comment Chloe, we sound very similar!! I definitely agree with the point of associating home with relaxing and if you unwind by using your phone, it’s not all bad if it’s productive!

13. May 21, 2019 / 9:15 pm

Such a great set of tips! My favourite way to unwind is by switching off everything and doing something I enjoy. I’ve been feeling super burnt out after exam season lately and can’t wait to get stuck into some painting. xx
    El // Welsh Wanderer

May 21, 2019 / 9:18 pm

Painting sounds like a fab idea!! Switching off is so important – thank you for reading and commenting x

May 23, 2019 / 12:54 pm

Hahah thank you I’m glad! That sounds like a good routine to have, I wish I could do more from home x