Taking Things For Granted

2020 has taken a turn of events I don’t think any of us could have predicted. We’re living amongst a pandemic, the first I have ever experienced in my lifetime. The UK has been locking down over the past few weeks; shops and fast food chains have closed their doors, the high streets are empty, we’ve witnessed panic buying, social distancing, working from home – and more lifestyle-changing adjustments.

Everything feels so surreal as if we’re living in a film, but also scarily real at the same time. We’re entering uncharted territory every day and the uncertainty is causing anxiety, panic and fear across the nation. There has been an amazing sense of camaraderie, especially with the support shown to our beloved NHS. From clapping on our doorsteps to show our appreciation, to respecting our new guidelines (if you’re not, shame on you).

COVID-19 has changed and also ruined, many lives. For the safety of ourselves and others, we’ve had to be more adaptable than ever by restricting the food we buy, only leaving the house once a day for exercise, moving our offices into our homes and so on. Being inside for such a prolonged period of time has offered more time for reflection than ever before. I’m here today to speak about the things I’ve truly taken for granted, with some contributions I had over on Instagram too!

The current lockdown and restrictions have really made me think about what I took for granted before, both big and small. I think the most prominent one is freedom, to do literally anything as and when we want! Coronavirus has cancelled things for us all; weddings, holidays, day trips, driving tests, exams, concerts and other events – the list really is endless. It may sound trivial, and yes there are more important things to be worried about – but we’re only human and these feelings of upset and annoyance are perfectly understandable.

An annual trip abroad is what gets some people through the year, weekend plans seeing family and friends makes the working week more bearable and walks in the country give us the headspace we often need. I took for granted being able to book a holiday and knowing it was going to go ahead, walking the dogs and not having to physically avoid people, popping to B&M to look at the homeware. Going with mum in the car for some driving practice, having date night at The Harvester and a trip to the cinema, trips to the beach.

All of these things will feel so much more amazing when the lockdown is lifted and we’re free to resume our “normal” lives. I don’t think that will be for a long time yet, unfortunately. However, we have a major crisis on our hands and people still aren’t listening to the government’s orders and advice. If you’re not staying home, you are not saving lives – it’s come down to that now. It’s not just ourselves going through this, it’s every single person you can think of. It’s a lonely time for many, and that’s concerning enough in itself. Life can feel very isolating sometimes, without having to experience literal self-isolation.

So what have other people said they’ve taken for granted? I kept them anonymous for no reason in particular, other than we’re all human and have all taken something for granted at least once.

• “Ferry Meadows”(country park in Peterborough)
  • “Pub”
  • “Regular sex”
  • “The gym”
  • “Having a job that means I can easily work from home whenever”
  • “Having enough food in the shops”
  • “Being able to go see friends whenever”
  • “Being able to go on date nights”
  • “The new tennis court in our village. Haven’t used it once yet but now I can’t, it’s all I want”
  • “Hugs”
  • “Going to the store whenever I wanted something”
  • “Fresh air because I have to wear a mask all the time outside and be stuck inside”
  • “Just nipping out to a shop if you’re bored”

I think it’s important to acknowledge the simplicity in a lot of the things listed above, but even the simple things in life aren’t doable for the time being. I believe there’s something installed in us that means we want what we can’t have, but this has personally made me more thankful for what I have. I have a roof over my head, food in the cupboards, my full time job is now at home and I’m surrounded by my family, partner and pets.

If you’ve been personally struggling, I am always here to talk if you wish. However, if things are more serious and you’re looking for help, here is a link to Mind, with a list of helplines and listening services.

This has been a hard-hitting time of realisation and I truly hope it never happens again. I cannot thank the NHS and key workers of the UK enough for what they’re doing – risking their lives so we can still live ours. I hope the amount of appreciation we’ve seen for nurses, shop workers, delivery drivers etc continues past this period.

Is there anything in particular that you’ve realised you’d been taking for granted prior to covid-19? I’d be really interested to hear down below!

Until next time, stay safe, stay home, save lives.

Emily x

40 thoughts on “Taking Things For Granted

1. Charity says:

Yes this coronavirus pandemic has shown me that I really have taken so much for granted. Like working, going out for lunch, grabbing a coffee, just simple little things like that I have very much missed. I will definitely never take it for granted again once things go back to normal!

2. Millie says:

This post is so true and I think you know all my thoughts about everything going on! I’ve still got my fingers crossed for my trip to Croatia in July but this weekend has also made me feel so grateful so have a job right now despite my forever changing thoughts. Lovely post and glad to see you blogging again!! 🙂

• emilygabriellax says:

Aw thank you for the lovely comment Millie! I’m crossing my fingers and toes for you, praying it’s all over by then!

3. Charlotte says:

This is a great post Emily! I love that you asked around to see what other people are taking for granted. Since you asked about this post, we found out we’re not able to move house. So I can now say I’ve also taken delivery drivers for granted too. Hope you’re keeping well and take care x

• emilygabriellax says:

Oh no Charlotte I’m so sorry to hear that! I hope the ball gets rolling for you quickly once this is all over! I am thank you, you too!x

4. Maddie says:

Such a good post to write, as it’s important to reflect on what we miss and take for granted! I also live in Peterborough so I too miss Ferry Meadows and the ability to just enjoy the pubs and parks here! Take care xx

5. Rachel says:

Great post! I definitely took so many things for granted. I can’t wait to meet my friends after work for cocktails and also just going to a gym class will be exciting!!

6. Deandra says:

I miss just being able to go downtown to a coffee shop and work on my blog. Being stuck inside and not being able to get different scenery Is the worst. I also have taken my gym membership for granted 100%. I’ve been paying for it, but can count on one hand the number of times I’ve been so far this year. I’m definitely going to start going more once they open back up.

• emilygabriellax says:

That’s an interesting point I’m surprised I hadn’t thought of, a different change of scenery helping with our motivation! And it’s good you’ve managed to flip it round and see the good about your gym membership! Wishing you all the best x

7. Tajinder Kaur says:

Such a lovely post dear. There’s so many things we tend to take for granted, and now that we can’t do them, we want to do them more than ever. I’ve been trying stay positive in these uncertain times. Attempting to do things I couldn’t before like read more, catch up with podcasts and be more creative. Thanks for sharing!
    Tx. // Tajinder Kaur

• emilygabriellax says:

I definitely relate to you there, glad you’ve got some activities to keep you going. Thank you for commenting Tajinder x

8. Sumedha says:

This post is so true. I’m a college student in my final year, also doing a full-time internship. I’m so grateful that I’m able to attend classes online and work from home and earn. I’m trying my best to find outlets to donate that will impact lives that have been hit worse because just to wake up every day and have some sort of normal life going is HUGE.

• emilygabriellax says:

Oh 100%!! It’s going to be mayhem when everything is open, but I think the feeling in the air will be amazing! I hope you continue to get through all this okay, thank you for reading!

9. Savannah says:

Great post! There are so many things that I miss, especially in the realm of travel and gathering and seeing my family. It’s tough, like you said, but we’re all in this one together. I think our appreciation will soar when all of this is said and done. Thank you for sharing!

• emilygabriellax says:

This is a lovely comment, Savannah! We’re very much in this together, and hopefully there’ll be more community spirit when it’s all over. Thank you for reading!

10. Kelly says:

This post is so true, I’m really missing doing simple things like going out for a meal and drinks, even clothes shopping. It’s stuff we all take for granted without even realising x

11. Mariam says:

You are right on the money. This pandemic has shown me just how many things I used to not even think twice about, and how many things I took for granted. It’s definitely a good time to reflect.

• emilygabriellax says:

I couldn’t agree more, it’s been a horrible situation for many but I am grateful that I now appreciate so much more! Thank you for reading

12. Constance says:

Great posts, this pandemic has shown me what I have not considered before and also given me time to work more on things that I have neglected . Thanks for sharing this Emily.

13. Constance says:

Thank you so much for sharing this Emily, this pandrmic has made me to work on things that have not considered before and also given me time to work on things that interest me more.

14. Gemmaa Jayne says:

Great post! I think a lot of things have shifted from this pandemic and I have definitely changed a lot. Some things are like going to the gym I took for granted but now I have really been enjoying and made friends from doing home workouts! So I think for me even though there may be things I took for granted I always find ways to do an alternative 😊

• emilygabriellax says:

I think that’s a great way of looking at it! It’s nice you’ve been able to flip it around and see the positives ☺ thank you for reading and commenting!

15. Nyxie says:

I’ve taken having a job for granted. I’d only just started back to work and was struggling to come to terms with it after being unemployed for a year while I recovered. Now I can’t wait to get back to work so I can actually socialise.

16. Helen says:

This is an amazing way of looking at things. Without looking at the positive side what else do we have? I run a pub, so I guess in a weird way I still have been able to enjoy the beautiful beer garden, albeit with the wine from the local shop 🙂
    Lots of love, Helen x

• emilygabriellax says:

Thanks a lot for reading Helen! Oh wow I bet the pub has never been this quiet before, what an interesting place to lockdown!x

17. emilygabriellax says:

I have to agree with you on that one! I miss picking up some bargains that are hard to find online! Thanks for reading 🙂